Friday, February 25, 2005

Do you know the Shinyhead man, the Shinyhead man...(you don't want to)

Tonight i went out to dinner with a bunch of folks, including two prospective applicants to my bschool. One, let's call him Shinyhead, sits at my end of the table.

The logical and friendly thing to do here is introduce myself.

Me: "Hi, my name is Tatertot."
Shinyhead: "......................"
(okay - maybe he's just slow)

Shinyhead: "....................." (keep in mind he's just staring at me blankly)
(if this guy doesn't know his own name, houston, we have a problem)

Shinyhead: "um...I'm Shinyhead. I was going to say something clever, but I couldn't think of anything."
(hmm, not much better than forgetting your own name)

So, not a big deal, he's just trying a little too hard. Fine. We continue on with dinner. I don't talk to him much until the end, when everyone is about to leave. He's looking for a party.

Unfortunately, this week happens to have been an especially brutal week for most of us and we are wiped out and ready for a quiet night at home. I call some friends to see who can take him out. No takers. I feel bad, because he probably thinks we are all lame losers who don't go out and he wants to get a feel of what our school and environment is like. and i hate letting people walk away with a not so stellar impression of our bschool (yes, sorry, i am a geek).

I contemplate, for a second, about taking him and the other prospective out for a beer at the local bar to appease him. Then the second passed.

He, my friend Jgirl and I are all headed in the same direction, so we walk a few blocks together.

Shinyhead: "You know, i was all set to go downtown and i ended up coming to dinner with you guys instead of hanging out with my friend that i hadn't seen in a long time."
(oh, how fortunate for us)
Shinyhead: "But I guess I'm glad I came...it was...fun."
(was it? cuz your enthusiasm is shooting out of your nose. i can tell. really.)


And here it comes:
Shinyhead: "So can you guys pull some strings?"
Both Jgirl and I are confused.
Me: "What do you mean? Pull what strings?"
Shinyhead: "To get me in here, to your school."
(the nerve! i just met you 45-minutes ago, sucka. i don't even know that i like you. It takes me longer to decide on a pair of shoes. God, i'm glad i didn't tell him i'm on admissions.)
Jgirl and Me: "Unfortunately, we don't have any strings."

Jgirl parts ways with us, and lucky for me, Shinyhead and I still have about a block to go before i shake him from my night.

Shinyhead: "So is everyone married at your school? Cuz I am SOO single."
(nice. you are desparate in more ways than one i see)

Me: "There's a good amount of single people. There's a lot who are dating though."
Shinyhead: "Oh really. Like who?"
(um, you want me to name all the people i know who are dating who you don't know?)
Me: "Um, what do you mean?" (i seem to be saying that a lot tonight)
Shinyhead: "Are you single?"
(eeeeeeeeeeeewwwwww)
Me: "No, I have a boyfriend"
(and if i didn't, i would to you)

Shinyhead: "Oh... How bout your friend? Jgirl?"
(nice. move on you desparate ickster man. i would not let you near Jgirl even if you paid for my tuition. okay for tuition, maybe i'd just let you near her.)
Me: "She's kinda taken."
Me: "Well, good night. hope you find your way back to your car."
(so that you can drive your ass out of my town)

to think - i contemplated being nice and taking him out to the bar. sometimes being nice really doesn't pay off. good riddance Shinyhead man. i hope to not see you in the fall.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home