Friday, March 16, 2007

Creative Groupie

I’ve joked to friends that I am what one might call a creative groupie. While I myself am not a creative person (aside from the occasional homemade valentine’s day card, photo or blog entry, which is far from any sort of real talent), I find that I love to surround myself with people who are all things creative - design, writing, music, art, building things, you name it. I’ve been trying to figure out what about it exactly that draws me to these things, beyond the fact that the creative people I’ve met have tended to be passionate, fun, clever and overall interesting to be around.

And through a slew of random things I’ve come across recently - namely the book 31 Songs by Nick Hornby, and the movie Stranger Than Fiction - I’ve come to the articulation that it’s because occasionally, a story, photo, song describes something within me, perfectly. It’s not the image or words themselves per se, it’s a more complex, less direct connection - there are slivers in that paragraph, that photo or that song that evokes perfectly how I feel, want to feel or touches me in a way that makes me think a little differently forever. It is this amazing sense of common connection, where someone else can describe a moment in time or a feeling you connect to more perfectly than you yourself ever could. And it is this trigger of perfect articulation in each of these things that draws me in initially, lingers in me afterwards, and leaves me wanting more. You know, kinda like those mini snickers bars.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home