Monday, June 27, 2005

it's all about the Good Stuff

because commuting to work everyday in silence has been so PAINFUL now that i don't have either a car stereo or any CDs, i've resorted to some "creative" ways to alleviate the dead quiet.

yesterday i dug up my old discman and found one of three lonely CDs that my car thief had so graciously left me - it was titled "Good Stuff" which obviously meant it was good. phew, and i was worried for a second there that it was my other CD titled "Bad Stuff". Turns out listening to the same CD over and over again on the ride to and from work is not so ideal though - especially when i'm only allowed to listen to the headphones through one ear when i'm driving (i'm a responsible driver, see?).

so today, i tried something different. i decided to start up my computer and play my iTunes while it sat in my passenger seat. that worked for a while until the sound went really low. then i had to try finding my mouse via touchpad to fix the volume. not such a great idea when i'm driving down the winding highway that is the 280 at 80 mph (i swear i'm a responsible driver!).

so then it got me thinking (this happens when one is forced to drive in silence for two hours a day). what's so bad about silence? i'm one for self-reflection, winding down after a long day, trying to figure out the meaning of life. all that "Good Stuff."

but then i realized that after all this time, i've been rewired to never be idle anymore. if i'm waiting somewhere, i can call people and take care of errands via my cell phone. if i'm working out, i can bring my music and watch TV monitors. if i'm bored at work, i can not only visit my coworkers, but a bazillion things are at my fingertips on the Web, via IM AND on the phone all at the same time.

and in terms of being able to process my thoughts, contemplate the meaning of life and all that Garden State-y stuff, well, you are witness to today's therapy. my blog.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home