Tuesday, June 21, 2005

su DSL es mi DSL

When i used to work at Yahoo!, we used to say that it was a company with a start-up feel. But at my internship this summer, man, have i learned the true meaning of start-up! Just to paint you a picture of what it's like here, here are a few indications:

  • We "borrow" the wireless internet from the organization across the hall
  • My "desk" is a folding table
  • We are located in an office in a church
  • Copies of the keys for me are made by the Pastor's assistant
  • Visitors have to buzz the organization across the hall to ask for us and get into the building (visions of that episode of Friends comes to mind when Chandler and Joey get pizza delivered to Monica's apartment so that Monica brings it over and they don't have to get out of their lazy boys)

But aside from all these details, I am totally loving my internship! So much so that i feel almost guilty telling my classmates how much i'm enjoying it - "it's work...you know" some have said to me about theirs. My boss is great, i get to do interesting and impactful work and i'm learning a lot every day.

If anything, this internship has shown me that i really want to be in education, that this is something that makes me feel passionate about my job and that i'm doing something truly meaningful (granted, it's only my second week, but hey...).

as background, i'm working with an organization that works with parents of a community to start new public schools in underserved areas. they help get these schools started (incubator), they help select and train the principals who have an innovative vision for how to teach students (like focusing on art and science, or doing group project-based work instead of regular homework assignments) and they fund them for the first 3 years to get them off the ground. they just launched 3 new schools in the last year.

I'm working on figuring out how best to grow the organization and helping them write up their business plan - both things i've never done before, but hey - first time for everything and i'm enjoying the journey. some highlights for me have been interviewing board members, visiting the schools, sitting in on strategic meetings (including with ex-mayor of san jose, exciting!) and interviewing two school principals (both of whom were 26 years old and amazing!).

on top of that, can i just say for a second, how glad i am to be back in the bay area?? being gone just reminds me of all the things i took for granted while i was here. the beautiful view, access to mountains, water and city life, my friends. after the years that i've lived here, i still look in awe at the view driving back across the bridge at night. and now, i not only get to see my friends back home, but also my classmates that are here for the summer and the other 16 interns i've met too. can't wait to see how the rest of the summer pans out!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home